University Intranet Incharge
Dr. S. M. Mathur
Department of FMPE
College of Technology and Engineering
University Intranet Assistant Incharge
Dr. C. P. Doshi
Sr. Technical Assistant
Department of FMPE
College of Technology and Engineering
Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur is one of the few institutes in India to deploy a Gigabit campus networking providing 2-Mbps (1:1) leased through Cisco 1700 router, Cyberoam 500i UTM, Cisco PIX 515E firewall and Cisco catalyst 3550 and ISDN line connectivity not only to student hostels but also to all faculties. Wireless Internet/Intranet connectivity in each room of Under Graduate/Post Graduate hostels through 802.11g Wi-Fi network. In a network, a routing switch is a device that combines the functions of a switch to forward data by looking at a physical device address; and of a router to forward packets by locating a next hop address.
A Layer -3 (CISCO) Catalyst 3550 is connected to coordinate with college across Udaipur to enable online media access, IP telephony and video conferencing. Layer-3 is centrally located in the department of Computer Science & Engineering which is connected to Layer-2 switch with fiber ports through optical fiber cable. Routing switch offers a natural solution to the LAN router bottleneck, by integrating existing routing and switching technology into a single device that preserve the key benefit of both technologies. It routes data between networks to provide the logical structure and network segmentation traditionally supplied by a router. But it does so with the speed, simplicity and low cost that has become the trademark of switches. At the same time, Layer-3 switch transfer data at high speed within a network to provide all the benefits of a standard switch. Layer-2 switch is the main distribution switch connecting all the access switches on the UTP cables, thus creating a Gigabit backbone network. Depending upon the density of uses in each college, different models of Layer-2 managed and unmanaged switches are deployed.
All the colleges are equipped with high ends clients for running limited license softwares and CD server for accessing various types of multimedia CDs. The main objective is to implement a scalable network that would require minimum sinking of the equipments and cables in use. Over all about 17 kms of optical fiber cable and 30 kms of UTP CAT-5e cable have been laid. Around 500 information outlets are provided in various colleges and hostels and around 15 patch panels for interconnecting these information outlets to the switch ports. The Intranet backbone runs at Gigabit speed on fiber increasing it tenfold from 10Mbps to 100Mbps.
Applications Run on Intranet
To enable fully Intranet connected campus of Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur, presently the Intranet has following functionalities-
- Internet access to every faculty member and every student for 24 Hrs.
- Maintain web servers including database server, mail server of the University for local as well as global access, off course restricted global access through HTTP request.
- Various on line Journal are available for the staff and students in Intranet.
- Internal and external mailing system in place, where people can write mails locally and globally.
- Provide subscriptions for various online journals and periodicals in the libraries and researchers access them directly on their desk.
- Lecture notes, assignments of teachers available on the intranet and students can access them and can submit the assignments online.
- Various Audio Visual CDs are available on CD Server and students can access in any PCs in the Intranet.
- Video over IP on the University Intranet through Internet Camera Dlink-DCS- 5300 and students can access class from any PC in the Intranet.
- Voice over IP on the University Intranet through Dlink-DVX-1000 is used for the internal communication in the University.
- With the proper availability of software, it may not be difficult to have on-line registration, examinations and declaration of result.
- Resource sharing including various hardware and software.
- 24 hour network access and provision for wireless connectivity of network from remote.
- Availability of software for various offices like Finance comptroller, Establishment, Controller of Examination, Library Management enabling full office automation.
- Remote units of universities will be able to access the university network using ISDN line or Wireless link to the university network and will be able to login.
- Employees of the University can also avail the Intranet facility including Internet access at their home by paying some installation and maintenance cost.
Video Over Intranet
Video over MPUAT Intranet: Remotely watch and listen with the advance Internet Camera like D-Link Securicam NetworkTM DCS-5300 Internet Camera which is being used at the University network for observations and on line teaching of the class. Internet Camera is a full-featured surveillance system that connects to an Ethernet or Fast Ethernet connection to provide high quality video and audio over the Intranet or the Internet. Some advance Internet Camera differs from a conventional PC Camera because it is a stand-alone device with a built-in CPU and Web server that allows us to access our camera using Internet Explorer from anywhere in the world. The Internet Camera also has a pan, tilt, and digital zoom function that can be controlled from the Web interface or from the included remote control. The built-in microphone adds sound that accompanies the video. Altogether, we can record streaming video with sound that utilizes high quality MPEG4 Short Header Mode Compression to our hard drive, enable motion detection, and set up automated e-mail alert notification.
Surveillance software is included to enhance the monitoring and management of Internet Camera. The bundled surveillance software further enhances the security features of the Camera, allowing we to archive streaming video and audio straight to your hard drive, playback video, monitor as many as 16 cameras on a single screen, and set up motion detection to trigger automatic recording. By signing up with one of the many Dynamic DNS services, we can assign an easy-to-remember name and domain (e.g. www.mpuatcamera.com). This allows us to remotely access camera without having to remember the IP address, even if it has been changed by Internet Service Provider.
Voice Over Intranet
Internet IP telephony, also called Voice over IP (VoIP), is defined as the transport of telephone calls over the Internet as standard Internet data packets. Internet telephone calls can originate from traditional phone handsets via phone line-to-Internet (Analog Trunk) gateways, by PCs using software, or embedded devices (IP Phones). Most of the interest in Internet telephony is motivated by cost savings and ease of developing and integrating new services. Internet telephony integrates a variety of services provided by the current Internet and the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) infrastructure.
The Dlink-DVX-1000 used in University Intranet and offers all of the essential telephony features required for small businesses. Features such as call forwarding, call hold, find me-follow me, and voicemail. Incoming calls are directed by the integrated autoattendant and hunt groups to assist callers to their destinations. It can utilize standard phone lines via an external phone line gateway or cost effective Internet Telephony services. One unit can support up to 100 extensions, which can be located anywhere with Internet or Intranet access. Multiple units can be used to increase number of extensions or unite a company that has many locations under a single PBX system. The PBX phone features are user adjustable via the IP exchange DVX-1000’s web configuration tool. The administrator assigns each extension a profile of telephony features, which allows the best match for a user’s job function. Each user can fine-tune their assigned profile via the web to match their daily business schedule.