The Directorate of Research was established in December, 1999. Out of the ten Agro-Climatic zones of the State, two are under control of the Directorate of Research, Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture & Technology, Udaipur. Directorate of Research is responsible for planning, coordinating and monitoring need based production oriented agricultural research both basic and applied in the southern part of the Rajasthan. There are two agro-climatic zones in the University service area viz, Sub-Humid Southern Plain and Aravalli Hills-IVa and Humid Southern Plain-IV b.
In these zones, there are two Agricultural Research Stations located at Udaipur and Banswara, two Agricultural Research Sub- Stations at Vallabhnagar, Pratapgarh and one Dryland Farming Research Station at Arjia, Bhilwara (Map – 1). Various research programmes are being carried out at these research stations specifically to develop improved varieties/ hybrids, economically viable production and protection technology for crops, farm mechanization, renewable energy sources, post-harvest technology, home science, animal production, etc.
Research activities within Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture & Technology, Udaipur are funded by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, State Government, and other agencies. The All India Coordinated Research Projects (AICRPs) are the long-term projects which are planned and carried out each year based on annual planning process between the SAUs and the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR). The AICRPs are financed on the basis of 75:25 per cent from ICAR and the State, respectively. Ad-hoc research schemes of ICAR and schemes sponsored from other agencies are 100 per cent financed activities. State-plan projects are funded by State Government and deals with mainly need-based regional problems of the zones.
- To plan, coordinate and monitor the need-based agricultural research.
- To develop appropriate production technology for optimal use of resources in a sustainable manner.
- To coordinate and monitor the breeder seed programme.
- To develop linkages with national and international organizations for crop oriented research.
- To strengthen the research capabilities of Zonal Research Stations.
- To extend consultancy and expertise services.
Zonal Director Research, Agriculture Research Station
- Dr. S. K. Sharma, Udaipur
- Dr. P. K. Rokadia, Banswara
Associate Director (Seed and Farm)
- Dr. R. B. Dubey, Professor & Head, Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Dr. A. K. Kothari, DFRS, Arijia, Bhilwara
- Sh. B.L. Meena, ARSS, Pratapgarh
- Dr. L. N. Dashora, RCA, Udaipur & ARSS, Vallabhnagar
- Dr. S. S. Burak, CCPC Scheme, Udaipur