Directorate of Extension Education is a Nodal Agency of Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur responsible for agricultural development in the state especially in tribal dominated Southern Rajasthan through professional extension services including training, farm advisory, on farm testing’s, demonstrations and information services since 1966. Extension services are offered by a team of multidisciplinary team of scientists who performs their excellence in participatory mode in close coordination with various agencies outside and units within the University. The Directorate provides guidelines and continuously monitor and evaluate the extension programmes to its six KVK’s which are working under jurisdiction of MPUAT.
For enhancing the process of transfer of technology, ICAR has established Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK’s) in each district of the state out of which 06 KVKs are falling in the jurisdiction of MPUAT under DEE, Udaipur. These KVKs have been given a mandate to provide training to the farmers, extension functionaries and demonstrate the improved technology both “on" and "off" farm. Directorate provides the backstopping and monitors the activities of KVKs. Three basic functions of the Directorate of Extension Education are training, advisory and communication.
- Organization of refresher courses for extension field functionaries on recent advances in agricultural research on regular basis to update their knowledge.
- Organization of short and long term vocational trainings for farmers, farm women school drop outs and unemployed youth in agriculture and allied fields for self-employment and livelihood security.
- Creation of healthy linkage between research and extension centers (KVKs and ATIC) for transfer of low cost proven technologies of agriculture and allied fields to the rural farmers and at the same time transfer of farmers feedback to research system.
- Monitoring and evaluation of KVKs and ATIC activities on regular basis for achieving their objectives.
- Organization of agricultural extension programmes at headquarters level and through KVKs to show the impact of new technologies at farmers field.
- Formulation and organization of in-service trainings for officers and field functionaries of line departments of Govt. of India, State Governments, Scientists of SAU’s and NGO’s on modern agricultural technologies to update their knowledge.
- Assessment and refinement of latest proven agricultural technologies through on farm testing (OFT) and frontline demonstration (FLD) under various agro-climatic conditions.
- Work as a resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the state, especially southern part of the state.
- Transfer of technology through specialized farm and home information services with ICT and other media mean, technological products and field extension activities.
The mission of the Directorate of Extension Education is “Reaching the Unreached” for livelihood security, improved quality of life and sustainability of agriculture of complex, Diversified and Risk prone farmers (CDR farmers) for social equity and inclusive growth
Location of KVK (Zones- wise)
||Year of establishment
||Instructional farm area (ha)
||Sub-humid southern plains and Aravalli hills
||Humid Southern Plains
The Directorate of Extension Education, having its main complex at a prime location in Udaipur city, has a huge building infrastructure. It is adequately equipped with audio-visual cum presentation lab , personal management system, internet, information materials, inputs, planting materials, farm machinery, exhibition unit etc. The important facilities are:
1. Conference Hall (Air conditioned, capacity 100 person)
2. Seminar Hall (Air conditioned, capacity 100 person)
3. Meeting room (Air conditioned, capacity 30 person)
4. Class rooms (3 all equipped with LCD)
5. Library (with more than 6000 books)
6. Rooms (40 for teaching, technical, ministerial staff, stores, record etc.)
7. MPUAT Agriculture Museum (Air conditioned with an area of 2400 sq ft. highlighting important activities of the University in eye catching pictorial form along with newly generated technologies).
8. Educational Museum (This modern educational museum has 12 section i.e. history of University, student welfare activities, natural resources of Rajasthan, improved varieties, fisheries, animal husbandry, production technology, protection technology, food preservation & value addition, techno-economic empowerment of farm women, energy park, modern farm machinery and awards section. The information has been displayed through pictorials, prototypes, model, exhibits and specimen. Three information Kiosk (Touch Screens) have also been installed to show the detailed information. Museum also has a mini theatre.
9. Farmers Hostel (Rated as one of the best in the country, the farmers hostel has enough capacity to accommodate 112 trainers and trainee. It is well equipped with all modern amenities, internet, library, reading room, common hall etc.
10. University Guest House (The university guest house has 2 suites, 14 AC rooms and 8 air cooled rooms with a total staying capacity for more than 50 guests. It also operates regular mess with dining facility and reception hall.
11. All the KVKs of MPUAT are adequately equipped with administrative cum training building, farmers’ hostel, instructional cum demonstration farm, vocational units, transportation facilities etc.
Laboratories and vocational Technological Units at KVK
||Mother orchard, Poly house, Small nursery, Model nursery, Fish seed pond, Post-harvest processing lab, Soil testing lab, ERNET, Rain water harvesting pond, Carp hatchery, Fish processing unit, Poultry and Azolla Unit
||Mother orchard, Model nursery, Rain water harvesting pond, Vermicompost, Soil testing lab, ERNET, Goat unit, Azolla unit, Disease forecasting unit, Post-harvest processing , rabbit and duck unit.
||Mother orchard, Hi-tech nursery, Ploy house nursery, Rain water harvesting pond, Seed production unit, Roof water harvesting, Goat unit, Azolla unit, Vermicompost, Post-harvest processing lab and Weather forecast unit, ERNET.
||Mother orchard, Model nursery, Poly house, Bio-diesel production plant, Soil testing lab, Rain water harvesting pond, Roof water harvesting, Goat unit, Azolla unit, Vermicompost, Post-harvest & processing and Weather unit.
||Mother orchard, Poly house nursery, Rain water harvesting pond, Soil testing lab, Goat unit, Azolla unit, Vermicompost, Post-harvest processing lab.
||Seed production unit, Azolla unit, Vermicompost and Shed net nursery.